Why does a food based ministry distribute children’s books?
Everyone of God’s Children are precious in His sight. Impoverished children need more than food for their physical body and spiritual food for their souls, they need to be set up for academic success. Academic success begins with literacy.
We distribute books because you can’t read what you don’t have.
Making small positive investments in a community nets positive results.
Here are some mind boggling facts on literacy and poverty.
- During the summer break, low-income students lose more than two months of reading achievement(RIF-Literacy facts and stats)
- 85 percent of all juveniles who interface with the juvenile court system are functionally illiterate. (Begin to read Website)
- 2/3 of students who cannot read proficiently by the end of 4th grade will end up in jail or on welfare. (Begin to Read)
- 61 percent of low-income families have no books at all in their homes for their children. (Reading literacy in the United States)
- While low-income children have–on average–roughly four children’s books in their homes, a team of researchers recently concluded that nearly two thirds of the low-income families they studied owned no books for their children. (Reading Literacy in the United States, 1996.)
- “The most successful way to improve the reading achievement of low-income children is to increase their access to print. Communities ranking high in achievement tests have several factors in common: an abundance of books in public libraries, easy access to books in the community at large and a large number of textbooks per student. Newman, Sanford, et all. “American’s Child Care Crisis: A Crime Prevention Tragedy”; Fight Crime: Invest in Kids, 2000. …”
Donate your used children’s books today. It’s like making a deposit in the success of a child.
Contact us at Info@ForeverFed.org or call 678-883-3314. You can even bring children’s books to any of Forever Fed’s events and we’ll see they are distributed directly to the communities we serve.